With or without water, we decided to get started. At this time we’re without. Lack of it is not stopping us. Fayaway has new equipment that needs water to operate, but plenty more that doesn’t.
While we await our new stem-head fitting, we got started with some equipment testing anyway. Our batteries were installed this past Friday so now we could try some things out. Let’s start with a few electrical items:
- Foremost we needed musical accompaniment to make the process go smoothly. New stereo system – check! Our new bluetooth stereo with hidden ($8 on Amazon) FM antenna brings in more stations than my Jetta radio.
- Next is the re-wired Statement Of Charge (SOC) monitor. SOC simply monitors the batteries. Its wiring was altered during the re-power last year and didn’t read correctly. Now it does! It’s nice to see the battery voltages and amps moving in the correct direction on the graphical display. We have 600Ah of capacity.
- To test our new Xantrex sine wave inverter we connected to shore-power and checked it’s charging and set for AGM battery type. Then switched to inverter mode and switched on some 110v outlets. Check!
- Replaced all 32 incandescent (power-robbing) interior lamps with LED. These are very bright, and use a small fraction of power. Bow and stern navigation lights were also changed, while keeping the original fixtures.
- New windlass was switched on and responds properly to directional foot switches. (Will be nice when the stem-head fitting allows chain install)
Now it was time for me to check out a different system. Bottom painting is done and so now we have no fear of messing up the paint with water running down the hull. All the drainage and supply water piping, as well as original factory faucets, were replaced back in May. All was assembled with PEX type fittings and hose clamps, so there are many potential leak paths.
We filled the water tanks, flushed out remaining antifreeze and pressurized the entire system. Aside from a couple small drips under the galley sink (loose hose clamps) everything seems to be working. Check!